Where are we going again?
We inadvertently started our career break and gap year travel planning sometime after we met in 2009, taking long walks together around Sydney and talking about the places we wanted to see. We agreed that we just wanted to travel to explore places and ideas without answering work emails or calls along the way.
What started off as a fantasy to travel around the world crept into our thoughts regularly until one day we actually started thinking about what we needed to do. The talking and walking progressed until 2012 when we found ourselves getting married in Bali with a honeymoon in Borneo on a one month trip. It was almost a test for us to see if we enjoyed long-term travel. When we returned to Sydney we began to seriously start planning financially and logistically. We were determined to make the fantasy into a reality somehow. Now it was time to put the plans in our heads to paper.
Gap Year Travel Planning Questions
We had some questions we had to ask ourselves for our career break and gap year travel planning purposes:
- Budget: What budget do we commit to for a one-year trip? Answer
- Length of Time: What if we want to extend?
- Destinations: Wait, where are we going again?
- Mode of Travel: Planes, trains, automobiles – which one and when do we use it? Should we get round the world tickets or book as we go?
- Method of Travel: Traveling fast or slow?